Thursday, October 31, 2013

SPACE: Positive and Negative

This inspiration for the Positive and Negative Space lesson came from Dick Blick.
I'd seen the results before, but I wasn't sure how to do it, until I found this link. The effect makes it look  more complicated than it really is.

I did this lesson with 1st grade through 8th grade because I wanted to emphasize the point about utilizing negative space. I wasn't sure that the younger grades could do it, but I was wrong-- they were awesome! (I recommend straighter lines, simplistic shapes. Loops and swirls are complicated and frustrating.) But even some of the older grades found it challenging. I encouraged middle school to make at least 7 cuts, but some just perfected 3-4 for the whole class.

I talked about complementary colors, but I let students choose their color combinations.

Here are some examples:

We did this the week of Halloween, so we went though a lot of black and orange paper. (1st Grade)

3rd grader wanted to add her third color. 

1st grader moved his half sheet to the center and cut both edges, drawn with a stencil. 

1st grader, copied from a middle schooler's work.

2nd grader: "I drew a sword, but I didn't want it to be violent, so now it's a bottle opener." <3

3rd grader drew in shapes on her +/- areas

This 3rd grader went on to make a total of FIVE of these in a 55 minute class. 

1st grader made a book. 

1st grader (added googly eyes on his heart)

6th grade

6th grade

My white board with a goal of 8 cuts for Middle School. 

No comments:

Post a Comment