Friday, October 18, 2013

Geometric and Organic Shape Collages

Dots make lines. 
When lines intersect, they make shapes!

This week we read The Shape of my Heart  by Mark Sperring, which is about seeing the shapes in the neighborhood around us. Abstract shapes like square and circle, as well as recognizable organic shapes like eye shape and hand shape. 

Because we live in New England and the trees are changing color, I chose to make my example drawing the shape of a tree. 

I showed how to cut geometric shapes with scissors --even drawing them first by hand or with stencil-- as well as tearing the paper for soft organic shapes. 

Then I introduced the glue sponge! And showed how to press into the sponge like a stamp, then stick it on the paper. 

We had many other trees designed, and even had a few squirrels hiding in the folded leaves. 
Overall, success!!







   3rd grader who cut out a leopard and made fringe with paint sample cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment