Friday, October 4, 2013

Line Drawing to Music

I've done this lesson before, and it's always a hit.
I started with my repeating my favorite quote, "A line is a dot that went for a walk," by Paul Klee, and demonstrated a few of the many different ways a dot could walk. 

Next we read the book Along a Long Road by Frank Viva, noticing that the cyclist was like the dot that made a line through the city. The kindergarteners loved chanting back each "line" of text on the page. 

I put out markers, crayons, and colored pencils for choice. I also used small, long sheets of paper. 

For inspiration, I played music. The songs I chose this time were:
I love you, Too by Ziggy Marley
Let's Go by Calvin Harris ft. Ne-Yo
any song on the Amelie soundtrack, and
peaceful MetaMusic called Enchanted Forest. 

Most kinders did not stick to one page per song, but moved on as they liked. Some wanted to make a book by stapling their pages together. A few older students wanted to make a book as well, and for some of the older ones who felt bored, I was able to convince them to look back into their abstract drawings and find some meaning and keep drawing into it to make it look more like something. They thought that was cool when I looked at it and told them what I saw. Then they took over and told me what they saw and kept drawing. 

I noticed that students always want to dance and talk during the faster songs, but are quiet and more mellow during the slower songs. I like to sandwich my fast songs with mellow ones. I don't recommend songs with words, but it didn't seem to distract the lesson in any way.

Overall, easy set up and clean up, yet still fun and engaging!



No comments:

Post a Comment