Friday, November 9, 2012

Drawing and Painting to Music

I did this activity with Kindergarten, Lower and Upper Elementary.

I gave them each 4 pieces of 6x9" paper, one for each song. Why did I give you four pieces? (Made them repeat this answer back to me a few times, because I had some students in the first class miss the connection and painted on all four pieces during the first song. Whoops.)


Our artist mentor was Paul Klee because he has great shapes and lines, but also because he has the best quote to define line:

"A line is a dot that went for a walk." -Klee

During the songs I reminded them about their dot's journey.
Is it running? Dancing gracefully? Bouncing? Or dragging its feet?

We also talked about choosing colors that expresses the mood of the song.

Songs I chose:

Blue Man Group, "Endless Column"

Techno, "Sandstorm"

Classical, "Swan Lake"

Blues, Roy Buchanan, "Chicago Smoke Shop"


Between each song, they brought their piece up to "circle" and laid it in the column for the song.



3 comments:

  1. What a great thing to do!!! Thanks for submitting your nomination to the Art of Ed blog because that's how I found your blog. I have joined now as a follower so now I can stay connected. Take care. Andrea Ream Ellwood (of DreamPrayCreate.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for connecting with me, Andrea-- I'll be sure to follow your blog, too!
    Happy Weekend,
    K.Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the comparing of the different music! ditto Andrea above...
    Chris at hockadayart.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete