Saturday, November 3, 2012

Monochromatic Robots

I needed a way to name my art room tables, plan seating charts, and introduce my students to the new order in the room. (We gave it a few weeks to see if they needed to have a seating chart, and yeah, the upper elementary grades did.)

Each table was named a color of the ROYGBIV rainbow, plus a "neutral" table because I have 8 tables.

This table naming lent itself well to our next lesson: MONOCHROMATIC ROBOTS!

I am currently enrolled in Deep Space Sparkle's Teaching Art 101 ecourse to give me a little tune up on project ideas. Drawing robots was one of Patty's ideas, and I tweaked it to fit my needs.

MATERIALS:
Shapies - fat and thin
Crayons - I had mine already sorted into separate baskets of ROYGBIV colors.
White paper - I think my paper was about 12x20"

VOCAB WORDS:
LINE
SHAPE
MONOCHROMATIC
TINT
SHADE
CROSS HATCHING (for upper el)

QUESTIONS
Does your robot have a job?
Does it have a name?
Did you repeat shapes?

When these were finished I hung them up in the hallway in ROYGBIV order and they looked fabulous. And THEN the kids really started having ah-ha moments about what monochromatic really meant.


 
2nd Grade Robot

My example

2nd grade
Orange Monochromatic Robots -- with many shades and tints of orange in the basket


2nd Grade-- Kids clothing often times matches their work!

ROYGBIV hallway! I kept repeating the pattern on both sides of the walls. 



A little video interviewing a 3rd grade student about her Robot Book. (Not sure why the image is flipped...) 


No comments:

Post a Comment