Saturday, October 26, 2013

Reflecting on "What Matters"

A colleague just asked "what other art teachers do to cheer themselves up if things aren't going as planned/scheduled?"

I thought I would share how I reflect and document a quick snapshot of my day. I try to do this everyday on paper for my records. And if not on paper, I at least try acknowledge the components mentally and emotionally, and jot them in a note on my phone.  

I ask myself "What matters?" I brake it up to the states of matter that I learned in science: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. (You can even look at it with bathroom humor. That helps, too.) 

I usually record in this order:

SOLID - I jot down the crappy thing that happened. The immovable block that is bothering me. The things I can't seem to get over. Events that were frustrating. Things that just went wrong. Students who had a rough time. "I wasn't at the door when the students came in. Student ran in and caused commotion, and I spent lesson time recovering for behavior." "Found out about student rumor." "Parent emailed me about concerns." These are the things I know I'm going to hold onto, bring home, and allow to keep bothering me it I don't write it down.  

I. Get. It. Out. 
And then, I move on. 

LIQUID - The things that flowed well. What I can compliment myself for. "I reduced need for extra materials and set out exactly what they needed; I noticed that most students could start with ease." "The template enabled Student to work independently." "The book I chose really inspired the conversation and artwork." I see that it worked, and I'll try it again. 

GAS - (My favorite.) The things said that made me laugh, artwork that made me feel joy or pride in a student, a GEM (Great Educational Moment) that reminded me why I really and truly love this job. Student was so proud she created a pop up! When I showed kindergarten Student a princess picture, he told me his "dad wears dresses like that" with a straight face. By the end of the year, I'll have over 180 things written that remind me the joys of teaching, and funny quotes to share with the teachers and kids when they get older. 

And, lastly...

PLASMA -  What the heck is plasma? I really am not sure, and I'll have to look it up... again. This is where I list my lingering questions and the things I'm wondering. How do other teachers store clay? Is there a better routine for clean up? Who is an artist I can show tomorrow that uses space well? How did I respond to that parent last year? What the heck are the National Standards!?

            

I hand write them on a bank sheet or use a template and store them in my binder. After I write my PLASMA questions, I write in my calendar my to-do list for tomorrow. Like an action plan, look up those answer! Collect trash bags! Send that email! 

Usually I don't go back to read these reflection sheets, but when I need to reference something I was wondering or a behavior problem, I have it, and it's helpful. 

What I really like about it is a balance of what I'm documenting about my process as a teacher. I noticed when I used to come home and verbally vent (ie, process) to my fiance, that wasn't the most helpful or healthy. I needed to be documenting the issues and learning from them. Plus, I really wanted document the successes and the fun GEMs I was encountering, too. Writing this "What Matters" reflection helps me leave work feeling like I do have control, because I am focusing on what matters to me. And it only takes two minutes.   

If this helps, you, please let me know! Also, if you have another science-related twist to add on, please share. 


Thanks!  
K-Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment