Friday, October 25, 2013

Form - Designing a Place-scape

Dots make lines.
When lines intersect they make shapes.
When shapes are in the third dimension they make form!

All grades designed place-scapes using large paper, paper strips, tape, staples, and scissors. I also put out markers in case they wanted to draw into their places. We had some road lines and people drawn in. 

When I walked kindergarten upstairs I told them to look for curvy lines around them to help build schema.

Then, we read Dr. Seuss's Oh the Places You'll Go! for inspiration for unique places with repetition of curved and straight lines. (I skipped a few pages in the middle after the Waiting Place, then jumped back in when it was upbeat again.)

I showed students how to make flat paper pop into third dimension by twisting, folding, rolling, curling. 
I taught two methods of adhesion: tape and staples. 

They designed roller coasters, water parks, skate parks, towns, and some unknown mysterious places. 

The concentration was so focused and engaged. I loved how creative they were. Some of my toughest customers in 3rd grade said this was "the best art lesson ever." Many of the E1 students even moved onto the floor and make large cooperative places with friends. I totally recommend this lesson. We're going to be continuing with something like it next week!  




   
                                    

                                





No comments:

Post a Comment