Sunday, October 27, 2013

Researching an Artist Mentor: 4-3-2-1 Go!

Here is one example of a quick, yet meaningful way to research an artist. I call it a "4-3-2-1 Go".

Students choose one artist, and discover the following:


   4 pictures of their artwork and/or the artist that catch my eye
   
   3 observations I make about the artist’s work

   2 questions about the artist or their work (which may or may not be answerable)

   1 idea I will take with me when I make my own work

I'm planning to have students answer these questions on a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet, so then we can collect a binder full of artist mentors to reference. Here's my first attempt at an example for students: 

I'm planning on re-creating it like I would if I were doing the assignment, without the highlights. I'll repost it when I do. 

The real connection that a student has with another artist's work that interests them is important to me. I want them to have the opportunity to observe, question, and build new knowledge to benefit their own work. They could also do this lesson for genres or periods of art, too. 

Why did I create this? I have a lot of students who have written proposals for self directed lessons that want to splatter paint, but don't know Jackson Pollack's name or biography. I'm hoping that this assignment is a quick way to get to know a little about Jackson Pollack that adds meaning and inquiry without being overwhelming. If they can do this study about him, then I may grant them permission to do a self directed art lesson. 

I'll try it and see how it goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment