Friday, September 12, 2014

Kinderhaus Day 1: Leonardo Da Vinci's Journals, and Meet Mona Lisa!

What to do with this clean slate of a Kindergartener!? Let's be honest, I want it to be a grand idea, with easy materials. We're just meeting each other for the first time and establishing basic normalcy.

Here's what I did:

Pre-made journals for them-- 20 per class, including extras. Easily stapled blank sheets with a class color-coded title page. (Some pages I put an idea at them top like "My favorite activity," but I realized I probably didn't need to do that.)

They can draw on the cover!

I also brought out my artist sketchbook to show them how you can doodle, paste in pictures, and write all over the pages.


I even had out books on my lesson table about Da Vinci to show pictures of Mona Lisa.
Why is Mona Lisa Such a good role model for lessons? She's sitting, hands in lap, looking and listening to the viewer-- or teacher!

Our words of the week: 
   -Leonardo Da Vinci  (yes, there's also a turtle named after him!)
   -Mona Lisa
   -artist journal
   -portrait 

The book I read to them: Leonardo and the Flying Boy by Laurence Anholt. This book is better suited for an older age, so I picked out sections of pages to establish the idea of who this artist was, why Mona Lisa is our role model, and the importance of keeping a journal and coming up with radical ideas.



inspiration and wonder from the world around us
sketches of inventions


practice of drawing faces

excitement and patience for making art

Mona Lisa! 

After our lesson at the rug, we went to draw in our journals. At each table, I had markers, crayons, pencils, and stencils. This week, every center is the same.

As some students finished early, they were invited back to the rug to share their work with other early finishers. I have students for 1 hour blocks, and even this filled the time well. As the year unfolds, I will add more centers like dough and stamping. By the last five minutes of class, we were all at the rug, listening to whoever wanted to share.

We had some great inventions, like a missing sock replacer, and other fabulous illustrations.
Things I love: rainy beach days

Journals were placed in their class bins, and off we went!




Next week: Self portraits!


No comments:

Post a Comment